Writing Task 1 Title paraphrasing
Exercises for IELTS writing task 1 title paraphrasing.
To paraphrase effectively, you need to follow a set of
1. Look at the words you CANNOT change (you need these)
2. Look at the words you CAN change (you need to focus on these)
3. Break it down into chunks (not individual words for everything, phrases/expressions/collocation)
4. think of ways you can paraphrase.
i Changing the verb.
ii Changing word order.
iii Word formation
iv Reverse clauses
The chart below shows the percentage change in the share of international students among university graduates in different Canadian provinces between 2001 and 2006.
1. Look at words you cannot change (names, dates, times, places). 2001, 2001, graph, students
2. Look at words you can change (shows, percentage, change, share,, international, university, graduates, different, Canadian, provinces, between).
3. Break it down into chunks. (The chart below shows / the percentage change / in the share of / international students / among university graduates / in different Canadian provinces / between 2001 and 2006).
4. Ways to paraphrase.
The chart below displays/provides/depicts.... (change the verb)
the proportional variations (synonyms)
in the level of... (synonym)
global students (synonym)
within people who graduated from tertiary education establishments (word forms / rephrase expression)
in a range of regions in Canada (synonyms / word forms)
from 2001 to 2006 (change to prepositions)
The chart below displays the proportional variations in the level of global students within people who graduated from tertiary educational establishments in a range of regions in Canada from 2001 to 2006.
Here are some titles for you to practice the techniques above.
The graph below gives information from a 2008 report about consumption of energy in the USA since 1980 with projections until 2030.
The chart below shows the total number of minutes (in billions) of telephone call in the UK, divided into three categories, from 1995-2002.
The charts below give information on the ages of the populations of Yemen and Italy in 2000 and projections for 2050.